Lesson Notes / Scheme of work
ENGLISH LANGUAGE JSS2 FIRST TERM TOPICS/PLAN SCHEME OF WORK(WEEK 10)
Reading: reading to understand purpose
– Identify the purpose of writer from the use of certain expressions/keywords.
– Select passage on the contemporary issue: eg inflation, corruption.
The teacher guides students to identify keywords expressions to the author’s intention in the selected passage.
Students answer teachers question on how to identify the author’s intention in s selected passage
Students practice extensively using varied materials presented by the teacher
Learning resources: textbooks, selected passages.
Writing: Letter writing: A letter to your father describing your school.
– Identify the type of letter
– List features of the type of letter
– Write letter a model format
The teacher leads students to identify the type and features of the letter Students write a letter to their father describing school Learning resources: Sample letters, textbooks, etc.
Listening and speaking : consonants /k/ and /g/
Identify words containing sound e.g.
/k/ chemistry, kerosene, cattle
/g/ girl, goat, gun. Produce sound in isolation and in context.
Teacher guides students to produce sound in context and in isolation
Students give additional words containing sounds
Learning resources: recorded materials, charts.
Grammar/ structure: verb: transitive and intransitive
Transitive verbs: can take a direct object:- the men love their children
Intransitive verbs: take no object- the situation improved.
Make sentences using transitive and intransitive verbs
– Teacher guides students to identify transitive and intransitive verbs from given passages.
– Students practice using transitive and intransitive verbs to make sentences
– Learning resources: selected passages, charts, etc.
Discussion of themes, plot, and setting of a literature text.
– Teacher and students discuss themes, plot setting of selected text.
– Students answer questions, are asked to bring out plot, themes and setting of texts.